Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm A Survivor

I am proud to say that I had the swine flu at the same time as Rupert Grint... from the Harry Potter movies! What does this mean? My theory is that one day, my dreams of being an actress will come true, and instead of all of Hopkins knowing I'm contagious, the whole world will know.


I was diagnosed with Influenza A/H1N1 on Tuesday afternoon, after making an appointment to get checked out half-way through my shift in the NICU. My test came back positive within a few hours, where it can take up to three days to be conclusive. The results gave me a 7 day ticket to the basement where I could cough away from the family. May I suggest the following things: Frost Nixon, I Love Lucy re-runs, M*A*S*H re-runs, and my new favorite show 18 Kids and Counting (I love that family!).
I am heading back to work tomorrow morning for an 8 am appointment where I will hopefully be cleared to go back to work that evening. I have missed being able to go places this past week, but have certainly enjoyed cheating, in a pretty hard-core fashion, on my diet. I'm off the bandwagon folks, and have not yet been able to pick myself up and jump back on.
The NICU has been very supportive of my situation, understanding and ensuring me that this could happen to anyone and not to worry. I feared for two little ones that I had held during the one and a half days that I was at work and sick (thinking then that it was a sinus issue). There are many teams in place at the hospital to make sure that anyone exposed to an infectious disease is well taken care of, and everyone seems to be just fine! I am excited to get back to work; I have been thinking about those babies!

No comments: