Friday, September 4, 2009

What I Should've Said Was...

I learned something in my Mental Health class today.

Anyway, this has to do with those "brain burps" you have when you're discussing hot topics with someone. Here's what I learned about why you always feel you come up with better things to say after a conversation has come to an end.

Ever been in a confrontation-type conversation (that sounds nicer than asking if you've ever been really angry and arguing with someone) and couldn't think of what to say until it was all over?

Here's why: when you are in any such type of discussion, your pre-frontal cortex in your brain slows down as the limbic area is in overdrive. This means that your IQ (part of the pre-frontal cortex) actually goes down when you're angry! That's why you can't articulate when you are in the moment and why afterwards, when you calm down and your pre-frontal cortex comes back up to par, you can think of what you wish you had said!

God's way of helping us hold our tongue.

Funny, huh?

2 comments:

Grandmom said...

Very interesting! Caused me to think..."we are fearfully and wonderfully made".
Thanks for the "lesson".
love,
grandmom

Aunt Candy said...

Can this pre-frontal cortex be damaged during pregnancy and/or childbirth in your 40's?

If so, can this cortex be repaired?

If not, could I then be "spotted" several spaces forward in Quelf and given some "passes" when I forget to bark like a dog at the sound of dice hitting the game board?

I ask this only because Quelf is a game which requires the active and effecient use of the pre-frontal cortex at all times.

You can research this and get back to me this weekend. Not that I'll remember to ask which, in and of itself, ought to render me some small measure of pity.

Love you,